The Genetic Counseling Process
Is the cancer in your family hereditary?
A Cancer Genetic Counselor can help you determine if you are at risk for hereditary cancer. Understand your heritable cancer risks by talking with a genetics expert today.
A genetic counselor will:
- Review your family history, including relatives on both sides of the family who have been diagnosed with cancer, as well as those family members who have not been diagnosed with cancer
- Discuss your cancer risks and recommendations for managing those risks
- Discuss whether you are a candidate for genetic testing and discuss the risks, benefits and limitations of genetic testing. The decision to undergo genetic testing is a personal one and as such, genetic testing is an optional procedure. Not everyone with a family history of cancer carries a gene mutation and not everyone is a candidate for genetic testing
- Identify the appropriate test if you decide to proceed with genetic testing. Genetic testing is typically in the form of a blood draw. We can help determine whether testing would be covered by your insurance
- Meet with you after your test results to help you understand how the results might affect your health care options and choices available to you and your family members. We will also share this information with your physician(s). If needed, resource information and emotional support is available for you and your loved ones.
We will manage your genetic testing information the same way we handle all patient information – with strict and complete confidentiality. We will not release your genetic testing information to anyone without your consent. We can also provide you with information about the protections in place to ensure that employers and health insurance companies do not discriminate based on the results of genetic testing.
Schedule an appointment today
Contact our certified Cancer Genetic Counselor, Stephanie Percich, today. Call 402-219-5265 or email Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions on Genetic Counseling
Meet our Cancer Genetic Counselor, Stephanie Percich, MS, CGC